Monday, June 16, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

They had rhubarb at one of the grocery stores I went to this week. We don't get rhubarb down here often and they stick the strawberries right next to it--on sale--when they do.
When I was a child we had a patch of rhubarb in the yard and we children would go steal stalks of it to eat. My mother thought this was silly but we didn't get many treats so we took what we could get. My mother never did use any of it though I am sure my grandmother who's house it had been, once used it as it was a well taken care of, large patch. Anyway, it is a shame my mother never used it. My mother could cook but she wasn't real fond of cooking so she wasn't real adventuresome with her cooking.
Anyway, as I was saying, the rhubarb was on sale and I got several stalks...just over a pound...and two pints of strawberries so I could make pie.
I started making the pie early on Sunday because it is ridiculously hot here now and the house is constantly hot so no one really wants to cook anything...but we had to have that pie...
Things went pretty well until I did the crust. Like I mentioned it is hot which made my shortening real, real soft and made the crust too wet and it just wanted to tear and stick no matter what I did (and I am usually fairly good at crusts) until I got frustrated and threw it all in the trash and started again...with less shortening. The second crust went fine.
I put a cookie sheet underneath the pie in case it spilled over when cooking. From now on I will go with foil as I now have a pan that I doubt will ever come clean and an oven that needs cleaning as well.
And here it is...

Without a doubt the best pie I have made in a long time even with the spill over. It wasn't too sweet and it wasn't tart at all. It was just right. Plus the crust was so good and flaky!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Around a pound of rhubarb, cleaned and chopped
2 pints of strawberries, pitted and sliced
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
 pastry for double crust 10 inch pie

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Prepare bottom crust. Pour in filling. Make top crust. Put FOIL all under where the pie goes in the oven. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes on 425 degrees, then turn down to 375 and bake 50 minutes longer.

6 comments:

  1. Alot of my fruit pies always burst their seams. It doesn't bother me much. The gang still enjoys the goodies. My rhubarb isn't quite big enough yet to harvest, hopefully soon. I too will be purchasing strawberries for pies and jams. When we were kids we 'stole' the rhubarb from the garden, but we always had to dip the stalks in the sugar before we ate them. Our version of the dip 'n lick candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky! That pie looks delicious! Sorry you had to start over! That's always frustrating! But it sure looks good now! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    Your pie looks delicious!!! I can smell it all the way over to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberry Rhubarb is my favorite pie! - Yours sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum that looks so delicious. I keep thinking of making a small cobbler during the season, but so far haven't. And now it is hot and I really don't want to turn the oven on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky, your pie looks great and tasty. Perfection is highly over rated.

    ReplyDelete